Friday, August 6, 2010

Not Angry but Annoyed.

I was all set up for my OT to begin today and 40 minutes before my appointment my OT called to cancel. Her reason; she was unfamiliar with the study, she sounded a little iritated that my doctor had found "some study" and she was unsure the treatment was appropriate.

If there is a gold star for patience, I would've got mine during that phone call. I told her I was the one who found the study, not my doctor. I asked her for her email and I'm bringing in a hardcopy.

It's very hard not to take this sort of thing personally, but I don't. She's a great OT, but unfamiliar with Scleroderma. It's a very familiar wit most caregivers throughout my battle with Scleroderma. I'm trying to keep it in the VA because that's where I get my healthcare and funds are very tight. It's hard to find any practitioner within 120 miles who has worked with Scleroderma. My choice, get her the right info to get this going. I could try to take it to a different VA, but I do dread the thoght of the next service connected veteran to walk into that department with Scleroderma and being denied treatment. I also have to take into consideration two other factors.
1. She's at the VA and she has a ginormous case load with 2 wars going on- this is not her fault.
2. She always appeared apprehensive to touch my hands because of their scarred condition. This is her issue, but it's an ignorance issue. Ignorance can be treated with knowledge.

I have to scram. I have an another appointment in an hour so please forgive my typos and spelling errors. I just wanted to get this out before anyone else has this problem.

We can let ignorance trump hope.
Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blazing Flare-Ups