Saturday, September 4, 2010

Boobies, They Make Everyone Smile

I can only speak for myself, but having two chronic illnesses often distracts me from paying attention to regular maintenance. Karen Gottesman calls it "Common Sense things". It's easy to get overwhelmed with doctor's appointments, diagnostic tests, blood work, infusion appointments, OT and on and on. I forget about things like seeing my dentist, getting my lady parts checked or waiting until I loose my last disposable contact lens before visiting my eye doctor.

Bringing attention to other diseases is just as important as raising awareness for Scleroderma and Sarcoidosis. I don't wear cause bracelets because my wrists are too small. If I could, I'd wear the, “I love boobies”, bracelet because it's the funniest and a great conversation starter. Every disease deserves to be eradicated. They all suck.

Today I'd like to bring breast cancer into the spotlight. Yes, they get all kinds of press and coverage. That doesn't mean we should ignore it. It just means it’s that much closer to being eradicated. People with Scleroderma and Sarcoidosis get Breast Cancer. In fact, I'm willing to bet some symptoms of breast cancer are often mistaken for symptoms of the already diagnosed chronic disease before Breast Cancer is detected. Anyone have this problem? Please comment.

What brought my attention to Breast Cancer was hearing about two of my friends- mother and daughter, getting diagnosed in the same year. This is not the first time Breast Cancer has affected someone I care about. In fact, it killed someone I love very much.

Olga and her husband Roy grew up with my grandparents in Brooklyn and moved to California with them. I did not find out about Olga’s Breast cancer until the last few days of her life. I did not realize how far along the disease had progressed in her and before I could make time to go see her, she passed away.

I come from a very large extended family. Olga was not related by blood, but she and her family were and still are, our family. She was the life of every party. I miss her laugh that you could hear two houses away. No matter what mood I was in, she always made me smile and made me feel very loved. My cousins and I always thought Olga would be the one making us laugh at everyone else's funerals, but she was the very first of that generation to go. I could write a book on my experiences with Olga and this entry is small in comparison to her impact on my life. 11 years later I still miss her at every family gathering. I am very sad my son will only get to know her from pictures and stories, but he will know of her.

In memory of Olga, in honor of Roberta, Luanne, all those going through treatment and surviving Breast Cancer and in memory of those who lost their battle; take some time to do a self breast exam (guys too- yes, men do get it). If you can, visit Roberta's pledge page and help her exceed her goal of $300.00 for Team Krause/Smith for the Steppin’ Out in Pink Walk on September 11, 2010.

Thanks for taking the time to allow me to share with you something close to my heart.

Keep A Breast.org
The American Cancer Society
Breast Cancer In Men
Scleroderma Foundation
Scleroderma Research Foundation
Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blazing Flare-Ups