Thursday, August 4, 2011

Accidental Vacations and Other Random Acts

It looks like I accidentally decided to take a break from writing. My summer has been full of introspection, friends and family- when geographically possible. I've been spending a lot of time on twitter meeting some great people all over the world. I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but this summer I felt less like an anomaly and more like a member of a growing community. This community is chronically awesome, inspiring, into spoons, has depression, PTSD, is bipolar, has a sick sense of humor like me and too much to list here, but most of all, live with visible and invisible diseases or conditions. For such a huge group of people with so many different issues, we have a lot in commom.

Part of my adventure has been looking at my relationships woth others and setting boundaries. I started a Box Wine Book club on Face Book. I had to stop reading the first book. I'll be adding my next one as soon as I finish it. Right now I'm reading Setting Boundaries with Difficult People by David Leiberman. So far, it's pretty good.

Last week, I had the honor of representing The Scleroderma Foundation at the Orange County Fair in Costa, Mesa, California at the Bounce to a Cure Event. James did break his own World Record with over 206k consecutive bounces. His determination was inspiring. I had the honor of working with his brother Chris and had a blast. everyone should be lucky enough to have a brother like Chris. Watching him share his knowledge of Scleroderma and cheering on his brother was a privilege and I look forward to helping the Scleroderma Foundation in the future. Visit James' FB page and website for all the details and his years of inspiring work.

I am ending my summer on a happy note. I am grateful for each and every person I have met, been followed and unfollowed by on twitter. Thanks to all of you who continue to read my blog, friend me on Face Book, pay attention to my Get Glue goings on, forgive me when I acciedentally tweet under my name for my friend's candy company- then delete it and every other fault you tolerate with humor. Thank you for answering my daily questions on Face Book. By doing so and keeping up with the #chronicallyawesome on twitter, you are helping to raise awareness about Scleroderma, Sarcoidosis and what life is like living live with a chronic illness invisible or not. The care givers', friends' and family members' comments and input are just as valuable as those with the disease or condition. I have no words to stress that enough. We feel as if we are in this alone, but to experience the helplessness of watching a person you love in the fight of their life can be just as soul scarring as having the condition.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you and more writing the remainder of 20011 and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. My brother really does help push me through a lot of the tough times. If more people had a brother like him, we'd all be a bit nicer!

    Great read and great meeting you last week. Thanks again for all the help!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about your brother. My brother is super supportive as well. We are lucky and I agree, if more people had brothers like we do, wed all be a bit nicer.
    Thank you for commenting. It was great to meet you as well. Anytime you're in CA or anywhere near it, I'd be happy to help anytime.I had a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Blazing Flare-Ups