Sunday, November 14, 2010

This Time, It's Personal. I Had to Say Something.

Not Slums, Jobs. Are Yoi Listening Murrieta?

I had to say something. Some of us with ongoing chronic conditions live on fixed incomes and need Section 8 housing and also appreciate affordable housing.

When I came to Murrieta, the population was a booming 29,000. At the table next to me was a group of teenagers. They were concerned their peers were being led astray of their Christian Faith because of Harry Potter’s glamorizing of witchcraft. The group appeared to conclude Harry Potter was not good for Christianity. The one fragmented statement I remember verbatim is, “…if you are not a Christian, get out of here.”

Being new to the community, I just blew it off as a group of teenagers in a phase. My first Halloween was an eye opener. It’s a holiday to me. Not because I worship Satan, because I do not. It is the day of the dead. I know two things, we all die and certainty is a reason to celebrate. We had very few trick or treaters that night. The next day, a small group of my neighbors paid a visit to express their concern regarding my relationship with their Lord, Jesus Christ. I thought it was nice my neighbors were thoughtful enough to want to include me in their after life, seriously. More than two weeks is long time to spend with anyone, let alone eternity. I have met some very thoughtful and giving people in Murrieta of all faiths. I bring up Christianity because it appears to be the most popular and Jesus was a huge fan of the poor- at least that's what he appeared to be with all that caring for them and all.

I grew up in Orange County, before it was ever called “The O.C.” We pledged allegiance to the flag, we said “Under God” and never really thought about it, we understood the separation of church and state. There was choir in public school where we sang about P.T. Barnum and CCD on Saturday where we sang about Jesus and talked about about eating him. I don’t remember people advertising what faith they practiced. Here in Murrieta, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting an SUV with a "Not of This World" bumper sticker. The question, “Where’s the part about a Christian country in the constitution?” has become a rhetorical one because I have yet to receive an answer. But my shock about the community I have grown to love and call my home did not come from the photographs, it came from an email.


At first, I thought it was spam. Then I realize the person who sent it was a business associate. Here is the text. I did a straight copy and paste of the email because I want you to see what I read.
“Hello

I am writing this e-mail to raise awareness about the 80-acre slum housing project to be built across the street from Antelope Hills Elementary School, in Murrieta. This project will contain somewhere between 1,400 and 2,400 low income units, including a large area of Section 8 housing. The Slum Projects will span from Antellope Hills to the Orchard Tree Shopping Center, and from Clinton-Keith Road to north of the Target Store.
Obviously, this project will affect us all personally. Antellope Hills, Shivela, Vista Murrieta and Murrieta Mesa schools will never be the same, either.

The project is scheduled for final vote on:
Wednesday, December 8, 2010, at 6 p.m. at the Murrieta City Hall.
Please plan on being there to protest the project.

Please send this e-mail to anyone you know who may be interested. Protest events are being organized before the vote. If you know someone who would like to help, please have them call…”

I decline to name the author of this email because he/she can do their own advertising. Reading this from someone I respected, shocked me into doing research. Today, the pictures shocked me into writing about it.


There are so many residents of the Inland Valley who are unemployed, on the brink of or in foreclosure while some are clearly confused about the definition of the word “slum”. The lot in the picture is Antelope Hills, north of the new Super Target shopping center on Clinton Keith near the 215. Lots of tape was used to secure these handmade signs. They were around and directly on the private property. As you can see a sign was taped over the sign explaining the usage of the property. The group against this project clearly does not wish to hide their obvious disdain for those who do not share their income bracket. They can’t even come up with something clever about the increasing number of empty homes due to foreclosure. Their strong suit appears to be four letter words like “Slum”.

Let’s clear something up right now. A slum is not built. A slum is a product of dilapidated real estate and slum lords, usually occupied by those with low incomes because that’s what they can afford. I find this display disgusting and I hope it is coming from a misguided minority of this community. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but this appears to be destructive.
Here’s what those “slums” will bring to this community- jobs. Construction jobs, remember those? You need someone to build the foundation, framers, dry wallers, electricians and plumbers. Not to mention the businesses who support those construction jobs like Dixiline, Lowe’s and Home Depot. Those workers have to eat too, right? They will need things like gas and office supplies. The finished homes will need maintenance, furniture, the occupants will need things like groceries and TV’s. Not to mention there’s a giant medical center they are building up the street and it will bring medical and support personnel who need places to live. Some will just be starting out. Some more established members of that community will help us with our empty high end real estate problem. Not to mention newly discharged Veterans, starting out after serving their country. Some will be loking for an affordable place to call home. Some will be disabled and will need to retrain for employment or recover from serious injury. That's not an easy road. I have experienced it first hand and you really need the breaks where you can get them during that transition. Are those signs in the picture what we want to welcome new members of our community who might prefer to live nearby rather than commute? If so, Murrieta may be missing a great opportunity. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blazing Flare-Ups