Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Daughter's Memory of Veteran's Day

My dad and I had very little in common until I joined the military. He served as a Marine in Vietnam. I was in the Navy during Desert Storm. He was very surprised I chose to serve.

At 19, I was working as a manicurist in Davis, California. To be honest, I just wanted to get out of there. I had just broken up with my boyfriend who was as hot as Bradley Cooper, with the personality of Jack Nicholson's character in "The Shinning". Davis was a college town and I was still unsure what I wanted to do with my life, I just knew I didn't want to be in Davis. My very 1st choice was Club Med, but they never returned my calls. Then I looking into the Army and figured out I didn't like running, let alone running with an 80lb rucksack on my back. I decided on the Navy because they promised me an automatic promotion (in writing) to E-4 after 2 years upon completion of Radioman A School. I started bootcamp in July. Then Saddam invaded Kuwait and ruined what was supposed to be my Christmas in France.

My dad enlisted in the Marines. He spent time in Vietnam. My mom has told me stories about how she used to watch the war on TV. My dad didn't talk about it much. When I was a baby we lived in Chicago where my dad worked as a computer programmer in his last years in the Marines. We lived there until my dad got out, shortly after my sister was born in1974. The thing that strikes me most about being a veteran is it gave my dad and me something to talk about. I'll never forget my first Veteran's Day in 1994. I had just started college in La Crosse, Wisconsin. My dad called me and wished me a happy Veteran's Day. It felt like an unexpected right of passage. I could feel how proud he was to say that to me on the other end of the phone a thousand miles away. Over the last 16 years since I've been out of the Navy, my dad and I have forgotten birthdays and holidays, but there's always a phone call on Veteran's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blazing Flare-Ups