Monday, January 11, 2010

Bracelets

I think it’s a given we want the world rid of diseases and the discomfort and pain of others to be relieved, but do we have to wear a rubber bracelet to prove it?
Why can’t we just make a donation, get a receipt and be on our way? I took notice of my beautiful blue bracelet for Scleroderma Awareness and it just struck a nerve with me this morning. My friends and family don’t need a bracelet to make them “aware” of Scleroderma.
The roots of the bracelet go back to the AIDS ribbon. I can’t knock that. I think it got everyone’s attention, it was cloth so it was biodegradable and there was no multi-million dollar business behind the mass production of the ribbons. You just took a ribbon, made a loop and stuck a pin through it. Now we have bracelets for everything. As far as the bracelets go, the only one I can really stand behind is Steven Colbert’s Wrist Strong Bracelet because it raises awareness about wrist injuries and bracelet only seems practical.
So let’s make a deal. I agree to donate money to causes that offer bracelets, but will not take delivery of said bracelets, because when I die these bracelets can take a year to break down. Oh wait, that's not that long, but still, do I really need a rubber bracelet? Besides, my son already thinks I'm a goofball, why prove it by leaving him a pile of rubber bracelets? I suppose I could save him a trip to the garbage after I drop dead.
Want to help raise funds for Scleroderma Awareness? Check out www.scleroderma.org and buy something besides a bracelet or make a donation. If you really need a bracelet, go to Avon and help support my spa habit and help the environment by improving my appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blazing Flare-Ups