Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Thing or Two About High Risk Pregnancy

Nebraska- Forget about prenatal care and the born, because we only want to protect the fetus. Once the fetus is out though, you're on your own.-

If you're going to stop women from having an abortion (a legitimate medical procedure that is always a last resort), you can't say you are Pro-Life if you cut prenatal care. That doesn't sound very Pro-Life to me. For individuals who want less government, they appear a little too excited about the government interfering with a personal family matter.

One problem with this is the reason they stopped the prenatal care bill was because it would cover illegal immigrants. They are here illegally, but they are human beings. If you are Pro-Life, isn't that supposed to be Pro-Human? Most Pro-Life advocates call themselves Christians, but there is nothing Christian about turning down medical care to ANYONE. What would Jesus do? I think he would be pissed. It appears to me to be another example of a group who wishes to push an agenda by cherry picking facts when in truth they are using Christianity to justify their bigotry. I don't belive this applies to all Christians. Just those who say they are Pro-Life because of their Christianity but want to cut off health care to other humans.

What does this have to do with Scleroderma, Sarcoidosis and Box Wine you ask? Anyone who has had a high risk pregnancy knows things can go very wrong. Sometimes the choice is, there is no choice. The only example I can give is my own personal experience.

I have a healthy six year old son with ADHD who is a little short for his age group. He runs on the small side because he was born 8 weeks early. Because of my Scleroderma, I was considered a high risk pregnancy. I went twice a week for fetal monitoring and once a week for ultra sounds. In my 28th week, my blood pressure skyrocketed. I was in and out of the hospital for the next two weeks. The last time I was discharged from a hospital before my son was born, I got home and realized I forgot to mention to my doctor I was seeing orange spots. I called my doctor at 11:00pm and he ordered me back to the hospital. The next morning I could not see out of my right eye. I felt fine, except for being blind in one eye. That was my only symptom. My doctor was puzzled and sent me to two different optomologists. During my visit with the second optamologist, I over heard him talking to my OB on the phone, "We may not be able to let her go. She may be pre eclamptic. This hospital is not equipped for that."
When he got off the phone he wrote out directions to Mary Birch Hospital. When I got there I was checked in immediately. My son was born two days later. They took him by c-section after pumping me full of steroids as long as they could. My organs were failing and they could wait no longer.

My son spent 28 days in the NICU. The doctors and staff were amazing. It was awful to leave the hospital without him, but the parenting training the nurses gave me and my ex-husband was priceless. I left the hospital after 9 days. My sight had returned, my blood pressure was stable.

I met with my doctor a week later. He told me and my ex-husband to never forget how close I came to dying that day. Never forget that fear. Because if i were to get pregnant again, their was a 35% chance the same thing would happen sooner in my pregnancy and faster. Most likely resulting in my death and the death of my unborn baby, if I was lucky. My doctor told us I had what is called HELLP Syndrome. Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, Low blood Platelets. In short, first your liver goes, then you go into a coma you will never wake up from as your organs shut down resulting in death. The only cure is to stop the pregnancy. Do the math.

Because of the increased risk of blood clots and high blood pressure, I cannot use any form of oral birth control. My ex decided he did not want a vasectomy because well, he didn't feel like it. To his credit we are getting a divorce and his girlfriend is a great candidate to procreate with. She's really great- I don't know what she's doing with him, but I really like her. Anyway, my next option for birth control would be an iud, but I'm allergic to copper so that's out. The plastic one has a hormone and that's out so my only option is sterilization. Right now my doctors are considering tying my tubes but because of their lack of experience with Scleroderma and the complications surgery brings, they keep researching while I wait. Condoms are great, but they can break. The morning after pill does the job, but nothing is 100%. So if I get pregnant after all I do to prevent it, I fall into that category of making a choice. That choice for me is: Do I risk orphaning the child I have to carry another child that most likely will not make it to term? If pregnant I would probably wait until symptoms come up, but 35% is very high for risks. To put some perspective on risk, the risk of side effects from most prescription drugs is .02%.

So there it is. Do the math.

Tomlearn about Scleroderma, for to scleroderma.org
or
sfcure.org

To learn about Sarcoidosis, check out clevelandclinic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blazing Flare-Ups